Planning your own wedding is an admirable goal that not many brides choose to pursue, yet the ones who do are always pleased by the total control and unlimited creativity they are able to exercise over their event. It may not be the easiest or even the most fun thing to do but here are some tips for a bride planning her own wedding that we feel are the most essential to ensuring bridal happiness.
Budget, Budget Again, and Then Stick to Your Budget
Before you can even create your guest list, choose your venue, pick out the perfect dress, or anything else, you absolutely positively need to have a strict budget with enough wiggle room for unforeseeable incidents. Your budget will influence every single other choice you have to make about your wedding ceremony, so it’s best you overestimate your needs than be left wondering how you will pay for everything you already picked out.
Do Your Bridal Research
What is the weather usually like around the time you wish to have your wedding? What are some blackout dates you may face trying to book venues? Do you know what you need to do to secure your marriage license? There is a lot more to planning a wedding than picking out your favorite flowers and a great dress, do some research and get organized by making your own wedding planning checklist or binder to help prevent you from forgetting anything important. Online you can find an abundance of great resources for brides who need advice on everything from ceremony timelines to the best ministers in your area.
Every aspect of planning a wedding is equally significant, however some people may argue that being flexible is not only the most important but it’s also the one that no one talks about. Your patience will often be tested throughout the wedding planning process, from incompetent florists and tipsy bridesmaids to inexperienced photographers and family arguments. In all honesty, flexibility when it comes to a wedding is very hard, but it can help to constantly remind yourself that all the bells and whistles are not essential to your happiness. All that matters is you, the groom, and the love you share for one another.
Don’t Forget the Most Crucial Aspects of Your Wedding Ceremony
- Pick up your marriage license and wedding rings at least several weeks before your official wedding day;
- Spend the months before your wedding trying to figure out the perfect things to say in your wedding vows so that you aren’t scrambling the night before your ceremony to come up with something touching;
- Book all your ceremony venders (flowers, music, photographer, videographer, decorators, event coordinators, and more) months in advance and double check with them every so often leading up to your wedding;
- Plan and organize your wedding rehearsal;
- Have all of your programs, wedding readings, flower girl and ring bearer props, and more prepared and ready to go before the ceremony begins;
- Designate your wedding party and make sure everyone’s dresses, tux’s, bouquets, boutonnieres, and more are chosen and ready to be picked up at the necessary times;
- Decide on and acquire any ceremonial accessories you might want including unity candles, brooms, decorative sand, and more;
- Organize and ensure every guest’s transportation to and from your wedding ceremony
- Choose your minister or non-denominational officiant;
- Reserve all your salon and spa appointments (hair cut/color, nails, tanning, etc.) at least one week before your wedding, except for hair styling and makeup appointments which can be reserved for the morning of;
- Prepare for any special guest concerns like allergens to certain flowers, ramps or special parking for disabled persons, special seating for the visual or hearing impaired, and more to ensure all guests are equally comfortable and cared for.
If you’re looking to plan a wedding, give one of our wedding event coordinators a call at 586.930.5400 to make an appointment to view Metro Detroit’s premier wedding chapel. Your dream wedding is just a phone call away.